the dominant "voice" of the North Sea, on both 500kHz and 2182kHz, was Scheveningen Radio PCH.
In the 1970's Humber Radio GKZ, after controlling a distress incident, was called by PCH on 2182Khz and congratulated on his conduct of the incident - an unusual incident which could only be regarded as praise indeed.
The history of Scheveningen Radio started in 1904 amongst the sand dunes near the the lighthouse adjacent to the Port of Scheveningen. Operating staff were based in a shed which had originally been used in the building of the port. The callsign in the intial years of the station was SCH.
In 1913 the station took on the netherlands national prefix of "P" and became PCH.
In 1971 the station's operations moved to a building in the heart of Ijmuiden with the official opening of the new centre being carried out by Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands. The advanced facilities of this new operational site were the envy of other stations, including the UK's Portishead Radio GKA where automation was still years away.