MARITIME
RADIO
STATIONS
OF THE
WORLD

UNITED
KINGDOM

> WORLD INDEX

Caister Radio CS

Caister Radio was established in 1901
and was one of the original UK coast radio stations
constructed by Marconi

Caister Coast Radio Station

The station was located in the house "Pretoria Villa" in Caister's High Street and operated under the callsign CS.

In 1909 Caister Radio was taken over by the GPO (General Post Office) and re-equipped with a new transmitter. The stations aerial system consisted of two masts, one 150 feet high and the other 80 feet high, which supported two bronze wires 15 feet apart with the total aerial length being about 400 feet.

With the upgrading of Northforeland and Cullercoats radio stations, the Caister station was no longer required for ship to shore communications and this service closed in 1920. The station however was re-equipped for low frequency Morse communications with Belgium and The Netherlands.

The video below is of
Amateur Radio Station GB0CMS
established to remember Caister Marconi Station
for International Marconi Day 2011

 

Ship's Nostalgia - The Radio Room

Content2 - Images